Monday 10 September 2012

Face to Face

Face to Face


by Darrin DeRoches
October 7 - 13, 2010
I had an interesting week in real estate this week.  We started off with a deal going bad because this arrogant big agent wanted us to rewrite the offer since he believed the initials for their schedule b was not in place.  So after rewriting the deal the sellers decide not sell their house and pulled it off the market.  The agent not only lost the deal – he lost his clients. 
    My clients lost their new house and were pretty upset.  Their house was sold and they need to be out at the end of the month.  So we hopped in the limo and started to look at houses, for the fourth and fifth time.  Friday rolls around and we are still looking.  We start the day looking at a smoking house, not smoking hot, smoking smells.  We viewed a couple more and we headed to the last one in our search.  As we drive up to our 28th viewing I was a little skeptical since it just came back on to the market.  The listing states “a beautifully renovated 2 bed starter or retirement home” and I am worried it is a “weekend warrior” slap together job.
    As we view the property the client turn to me and say the magic words “I love it” So I call the agent immediately and find out what is going on with the property.  The people who originally bought this house had financing fall through so the house was put back up.  There are five more showings today and they think there may be an offer.  My clients want it so we go out to the limo and begin to write up the offer.  I am hoping we can present – fast – before anyone else does.  We are told we can present at 7:30.
    We write up our best offer and wait.  As I am driving to the listing presentation I am informed there is another offer and we are now in competition.  F&@% comes to mind.  As I drive to the house I am thinking how we can present our offer to beat out the competition.  When I arrive at the seller’s home I am informed the other offer was emailed in.  Perfect.  I get to sit with the sellers and their agent and talk about the wonderful renovation and how my clients are the ones to work with.  Our offer is lower but a quick closing and no conditions makes it very strong. Before I step out to let them discuss the offers I leave them with the thought “work with us and the house will be sold before you go to sleep tonight”
A few minutes’ pass and the agent come out and congratulate us and we sign up the offer.  The moral of this story is simple.  An arrogant agent and one who “mails it in’ are not the best choice when selling or buying your home.  Face to Face negotiations and service goes a long way, saves you money and will help secure your dream home! V
                         [DARRIN DEROCHES]

No comments:

Post a Comment