Monday 17 September 2012

Perception of Hamilton

Perception Of Hamilton


by Darrin DeRoches
April 26 - May 2, 2012
I had the pleasure of giving a tour of Hamilton to Toronto investors this past weekend. We met them in the west end, hopped in the back of the limo and began our tour. The first thing they wanted was to stop at a Starbucks. I explained that we have only 5 Starbucks in the city but about 60ish Tim Horton’s and went on how Timmies began on Ottawa street etc. – but Starbucks it is. We proceed over to Locke Street stepped out and got them their Starbucks. They pulled out their “gold Starbucks card” and I realized it will be a long day explaining Hamilton to these Toronto investors.
    They are looking to buy an income property outside of the GTA. We drive around the Locke Street area heading to the east end and they are impressed with homes and neighbourhood of the west end. Our first stop is a commercial/residential property on Cannon and Gage. I explain we are building a $275 million dollar stadium steps away from the property but they are not impressed and ask to move on. We head over to Parkdale at the link and look at a 12 unit apartment building that has a good return and they do decide to get out of the limo and take a look. We walk around the building and I point out how the “Linc’ makes this property very desirable and how tenants will be able to get to and from work, buses etc. Then the questions begin.
    “I know the steel factories employ about 4,000 people so where does everyone else work?” “I read that the vacancies rates are….” “I believe Barrie has a higher income level and maybe we should invest there instead of Hamilton” I understand they have read all the information about where to invest in Ontario, but it seems they are not getting the right feeling about Hamilton. We hop back into the limo and head towards Fennell and Upper Ottawa.  Along the ride I am pointing out what the city has to offer when they ask me if I own a bike. I answer of course I do. I go on about how the rail trail and Bruce trail run throughout the city. The amount of waterfalls and Pier 4 are great places to bike when they correct me by saying “No, a bike – vroom, vroom” 
    I answer “a motorcycle, No why?” and they respond “Well we heard from friends that Hamilton has a lot of biker gangs” I begin to laugh and explain to them that their perception of Hamilton is coming from the 60’s and the city has evolved immensely in the last 50 Years. We continue on and show them the rest of the city. We end up having lunch on Locke Street and they leave the city with a desire to buy a property in the west end. The day has taught me that we as a city have a long way to go on marketing our image to our neighbours who are looking to invest millions and millions in our city. V

    Darrin DeRoches is a local real estate and mortgage broker. He can be reached to answer questions, comments or stories about real estate experiences through this weekly column at mail@uniquerealty.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment